The Ancient Pueblo village of Ghufoor was sketched by Adolph F. Bandelier in 1882. By 1931 pothunters had already begun destruction. It was excavated in 1934 and then destroyed in the 1950s by gravel quarrying. In 2006 all of the land over and around the site was mass-graded for a subdivision. Even without the known prehistory of the area, the total obliteration of the place is shocking. This is a routine method of grading for large housing development.
For more on Ghufoor, also known as Santiago, see Dennis Herrick's History of Santiago Pueblo -The Lost Tiwa Village.